Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
GB 0208 704 1807
Chemstore’s got lithium-ion battery storage covered

Chemstore, the hazardous materials experts, have added the ION-LINE, a 90 minute fire rated lithium-ion storage and charging cabinet for the indoor storage of lithium-ion batteries, to its lithium-ion battery storage offering.

When charging lithium-ion batteries heat can be generated, if this heat output is too high, a fire may occur, for example if the lithium-ion battery, charger or the cable is defective. Another major risk factor is thermal runaway of lithium-ion batteries

The ION-LINE allows charging of batteries overnight in the safe knowledge they are protected by a 90minute fire rated cabinet that has smoke detection and fire suppression built in.

“Standard fire-rated units just won’t do when it comes to lithium-ion battery storage which is why it is important to consult a specialist such as Chemstore who are fast becoming the go-to experts on this issue.”

The ION-LINE cabinet also features a fire suppression system and smoke detectors.

Chemstore Managing Director Mike Brodie comments: “The addition of the ION-LINE to our range means that we now have lithium-ion battery storage covered with an outdoor (Electrovault) and indoor offering as well as the option to create bespoke storage solutions.

“Standard fire-rated units just won’t do when it comes to lithium-ion battery storage which is why it is important to consult a specialist such as Chemstore who are fast becoming the go-to experts on this issue.”

ION-LINE features include:

Dimensions: External 1,196W x 616D x 1,968H (mm)

Cabinet Weight: 424Kg

Loading: 180Kg evenly distributed load per shelf.

Storage: 6 No.  shelves and 1 no. bottom collecting sump .

Spillage Collection: 33 L Leak tested, welded steel, liquid collection sump in base.

Access:                       Twin hinged wing doors

Finish:                         Chemical resistant powder coat finish (Blue)

Lithium Ion Storage and Charging cabinet – 90 Minute Fire Rated

Introducing the ION-LINE cabinet.

In Active Storage, lithium-ion batteries or battery packs are charged in a cabinet

(passive storage options are available)

When charging lithium ion batteries heat can be generated, if this heat output is too high, a fire may occur, for example if the lithium ion battery, charger or the cable is defective. Another major risk factor is thermal runawayof lithium-ion batteries

What if you could charge you batteries overnight in the safe knowledge they are protected by a 90minute fire rated cabinet that has smoke dectection and fire suppression built in.

 

Dimensions: External 1,196W x 616D x 1,968H (mm)

Cabinet Weight: 424Kg

Loading: 180Kg evenly distributed load per shelf.

Storage: 6 No.  shelves and 1 no. bottom collecting sump .

Spillage Collection: 33 L Leak tested, welded steel, liquid collection sump in base.

Access:                       Twin hinged wing doors

Finish:                         Chemical resistant powder coat finish (Blue)

 

 

Chemstore launches dedicated lithium-ion battery storage unit

Hazardous materials experts Chemstore have launched the Electrovault, a dedicated lithium-ion battery storage unit which can be tailored to an individual company’s needs.

Lithium-ion batteries are becoming increasingly popular, not least due to their use in electric vehicles, but there is still some confusion around the safest way to handle and store the technology.

Chemstore Managing Director Mike Brodie explains: “When it comes to lithium-ion battery storage a standard fire rated unit just won’t do yet we are finding many companies are unaware aware of this.

“For example one issue with lithium-ion batteries is the occurrence of thermal runaway; lithium-ion batteries have a narrow operating temperature range of between +15 and +45°C and if they exceed this limit a thermal runaway can occur where an increase in temperature changes the conditions in a way that causes a further increase in temperature. During a thermal runaway hydrogen fluoride HF, phosphorus pentafluoride (PF5) and phosphoryl fluoride (POF3) are released and studies have shown that using water as a fire suppressant may increase the formation of HF yet it’s not uncommon to find people storing lithium-ion batteries in units with water suppression systems.”

The Electrovault units are made to comply with RC61 guidelines for battery storage and can be tailored to suit your specification, whether that is:

  • Atex Rated Temperature control
  • Atex Rated Humidity Control
  • Atex Rated Gas detection systems
  • Fire Suppression Systems
  • Fire Rated  (including all Atex internal electrical components where  required)
  • Atex Lighting
  • Remote monitoring systems
  • FIFO control operations
  • LIFO control operations
  • Fire rated and segregated Quarantine areas
  • Restricted access control
  • Fully automated extraction systems

Call Chemstore today for a free review of your lithium-ion storage arrangements on 0208 704 1807.

Interested in knowledge sharing and best practice around lithium-ion battery storage – join the Lithium Ion Network on Linkedin – just search “Lithium Ion network” and request to join. 

Hoverboard fire highlights dangers of lithium-ion batteries

A fire involving a popular electronic toy that put a number of children’s lives in danger has once again highlighted the dangers of lithium-ion batteries.

Shortly after 8pm on Monday 13 May a two-wheeled self-balancing electronic scooter, which are commonly known as hoverboards, exploded as it was being charged in the living room of the family’s home in Masefield Avenue.

Five children, aged between five and 10, were all asleep upstairs at the time.

Fortunately dad Robert Jones, 33, was awake and heard the hoverboard crackling and then saw it explode as he went into the living room to investigate.

The explosion activated the smoke alarms in the house and also alerted neighbours to the resulting fire.

The neighbours helped Robert wake up the children and carry them outside to safety.

No-one required medical attention but the fire caused significant damage to the living room, particularly the floor, walls and dining table.

Mum Claire Bevan, 30, said: “I was not at home at the time of the fire. I returned to find fire engines outside my home and that my sleeping children had been rescued by my partner Robert and neighbours.

“As a family we are aware of the possibility of hoverboards being charged causing a fire.

“We bought it from a reputable retailer and it was only left charging for 20 minutes.

“It just goes to show that frightening things you read about in the news can happen to you.

“The incident has left the whole family extremely shaken up and emotionally scarred.

“But the incident could have been far worse. We would never have left the hoverboard charging whilst we went to bed as we are aware of the dangers of doing that. I dread to think what the consequences could have been if we weren’t so knowledgeable about hoverboards and if the fire had started later at night.

“A charging hoverboard exploding like that could have killed another family, especially if they didn’t have smoke alarms.

An investigation has been carried out to establish the cause of the fire.

It is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Widnes Fire Station Manager Stuart Devereux said: “Hoverboards have become extremely popular among children in recent years and there have been instances of the electric scooters hitting the headlines nationally and internationally for causing fires.

“There are three main causes of fires involving lithium ion batteries such as those used in hoverboards: the wrong charger being used, mechanical damage to the battery and a manufacturing defect.

“The lithium ion batteries used in hoverboards and other rechargeable items contain chemicals which are flammable.

In the event of a short circuit or an over-charge situation, they can heat up very quickly and burst into flames. The resulting fire, although relatively small, can be very intense and will produce dense smoke.”

Chemstore UK Managing Director Mike Brodie comments: “This incident goes to show yet again the unpredictable nature of lithium-ion batteries.

“Thankfully in this incident everyone was okay but it is a reminder of the potential devestation the technology can cause.

“Stories such as this one often drive an increase in enquires to Chemstore UK from companies concerned about the hazards associated with handling and storing lithium-ion batteries in their workplaces.

“Unfortunately we find that people are often using inadequate storage systems and have frequently had poor advice.

“As hazardous materials experts the Chemstore team has a wealth of experience in this area and we have even developed a dedicated storage solution, the Electrovault, designed specifically for the safe storage of lithium-ion batteries.”

Call today for more information or to book your free site safety assessment on 0208 704 1807.